掌握這些習語,英語交流不再難(四)
41. FREAK OUT:to become very angry, scared or excited
41.爆發:變得憤怒、恐懼或興奮
Mum, don’t freak out! I married a guy in Las Vegas.
媽媽,別太激動!我在拉斯維加斯結婚了。
42. BE A CATCH:be someone worth marrying/having
42.值得追求的人:成為值得追求/擁有的人
John is taking me out tonight. He’s such a catch, I hope he’ll propose.
我和約翰今晚有約。他是一位值得擁有的人,希望他能向我求婚。
43. PIECE OF CAKE:when something is extremely easy to do
43.小事一樁:某事極為簡單
Do you think you could beat him in a race?
-Yeah, piece of cake. I’m definitely a lot faster than him.
你覺得自己跑得過他麼?
-當然了,這簡直是小事一樁。我跑的肯定比他快。
44. HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD:used if something someone says, is precisely correct
44.一針見血:言論有的放矢,擊中要害
My doctor hit the nail on the head. He knew exactly what was wrong with me!
主治大夫一針見血,他很清楚我哪裡不舒服。
45. COSTS AN ARM AND A LEG:when something is very expensive
45.費用極高:某物極為昂貴
My son wants that mountain bike for his birthday, but it’ll cost an arm and a leg!
兒子想要一臺山地車作為生日禮物,但是山地車太貴了!
46. HIT THE BOOKS:to study very hard
46.用功學習:努力學習
Do you want to go for lunch somewhere nice?
-No thanks, I’m going to hit the books. I have an exam coming up soon.
你想去吃點好的嗎?
-不拉,謝謝。馬上要考試了,我打算回家看書。
47. BITE OFF MORE THAN YOU CAN CHEW:to take on something that is too much for you to handle
47.好高騖遠:不切實際地追求過高過遠的目標
He bit off more than he could chew, and I don’t think he can handle it anymore.
他做事有些好高騖遠,我覺得他做不完這些工作。
48. WHEN PIGS FLY:this means that something will never happen
48.無稽之談:某事永遠不會發生
Aren’t you going to buy that dream house you told me about?
-Ugh, I will when pigs fly. It’s just so expensive; I don’t think it’ll happen.
你打算買上次說到的那幢心儀已久的房子嗎?
-噢,這個夢想很難實現,畢竟這幢房子太貴了。
49. DON’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER:this means don’t make a decision based on a brief impression or outward appearance
49.不要以貌取人:不要根據短暫的印象或外表做判定
I don’t like our new neighbors very much, they’re quite strange.
-Hey, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover. Give them a chance, I think they’re just a bit quirky but really nice!
我很不喜歡這些新鄰居,他們怪怪的。
-嘿,你不能以貌取人。多接觸一下,相信他們只是有點奇怪並非人不友善。
50. YOU ROCK:you are great
50.你真棒:你很不錯
Thanks for the tickets, Rob. You rock!
感謝你的門票,鮑勃。你真贊!
51. MISS THE BOAT: when someone has missed their opportunity to do something
51.錯失良機:錯過機會做某事
Have you applied for that job yet?
-No, I think I may have missed the boat. I should’ve done it last week.
你遞交工作申請了麼?
-沒有,已經太晚了。我應該上週遞交申請的。