跟艾米莉一起學口語 第707期:養寵物
That guy couldn't feed himself, let alone the pets.
那個人連自己都養不活,更別説養寵物了。
let alone
更不用提...;更別説...
He doesn't have enough money for food, let alone books.
他沒有足夠的錢買食物,更別提書了。
The boy has no time to take care of the dogs, so he has to give it away.
這男孩沒時間照顧他的狗,所以他不得不把它送人。
A: Do you have a pet?
你養寵物了嗎?
B: I want to keep a pet, but my wife doesn't like any pets. She is not getting a pet.
我想養一隻寵物,但是我的妻子不喜歡任何寵物,她是不會養寵物的。
A: Why not? You can keep a cute little puppy or a kitty.
為什麼不?你可以養一隻可愛的小狗或者小貓。
B: But my wife won't look after a dog or cat.
但是我的妻子是不會照看狗或者貓的。
look after表示“照看”,“照顧”。類似的表達還有:take care of, give consideration to, care for等。
A: You can feed it, bath it and walk it everyday.
你可以餵它,帶它洗澡,每天出去帶它遛彎。
B: What if we want to go on holiday? Nobody can look after the pet. Plus, my wife thinks our house is so small that we can't feed a pet. What kind of pet do you want?
如果我們想去度假怎麼辦?沒有人可以照看寵物。而且我妻子認為我們的房子太小了,不能養寵物,你想養什麼寵物?
A: I want to keep a dog.
我想養一隻狗。
B: Dogs are regarded as the most loyal friends by human. But they are energetic, and you need to make sure they get enough exercise every day.
狗是人類最忠實的朋友,但是它好動,你每天都帶它出去溜溜。
be regarded as...表示“被看做...”,是一個被動語態。主動語態為...
A: What about cats?
那貓怎麼樣?
B: Cats are more independent.
貓沒有那麼粘人。
A: That's great. But we're planning to have a baby in the future, so it is not suitable to get a pet in our house.
那聽起來不錯,但是我們計劃將來要個孩子,所以在家裏面養寵物不合適。