迷你對話學地道口語第1334期:絕境;絕望的深淵
第一,迷你對話
A: We must do something to same him from the slough of despond.
我們必須做點什麼,讓他不再絕望。
B: But it is hard. This time he was hit by a big shock.
但是那太難了,他這次受到的打擊太大了。
A: I know, but let's try.
我知道,讓我們試試看。
B: Yeah, he needs us very much.
是的,他非常需要我們。
第二,地道表達
slough of Despond
解詞釋義
Slough of despond的意思是“絕望的深淵”。有這麼一句話:“The name of the slough was Despond.(這個深淵的名叫絕望。)”這裏的slough是指馬車通不過的泥沼地,比喻爲“絕望的境地”。Slough of despond means to a state of severe depression。
拓展範例
E.g. Often the two men came into the slough of despond and had to start all over again.
他們倆常常陷入絕境,不得不重新返工。
E.g. I started going to therapy once I felt myself slipping into the slough of despond.
一旦我感到自己快不行的時候了,我就去治療。
E.g. At that time the I was in the slough of despond.
當時,我陷入深深的絕望之中。
第三,好詞妙語
save... from...:從......拯救出來,使......免於......
E.g. He grab at the boy, but can not save him from falling.
他想抓住那男孩兒,然而那孩子還是跌倒了。
E.g. I will save her from robbers.
我要從強盜手裏把她救出來。
E.g. Though I cannot save her from shame, I may prevent the continuance of iniquity.
雖然我不能使她免於羞辱,可是我可以不讓她的罪過再延續下去。
a big shock:很大的打擊
E.g. The news was a big shock to me; it came absolutely out of the blue.
這個消息,對我是一個很大的打擊,簡直太突如其來了。
E.g. Her elopement was a big shock to the parents.
她的出走給雙親很大的打擊。